Friday, July 30, 2010

A new veggie {Food Friday}

Woohoo! It's Friday, which is synonomous with weekend (not that SAHM's really get a weekend), which means, Daddy will be home for 2 days & we have no real agenda this weekend, we're not camping or going anywhere significant, so it'll be nice just to hang out at home. However, I will be going on Saturday, hopefully early in the morning, to go to some Yard Sales.

-------------

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but in case I haven't, or you're new to reading my blog, we try to eat something new at least once a week. Whether it's a new recipe, a new way to eat a food we already enjoy, or something new all together, we try to expose our kids & ourselves to something new.

This week we tried a new veggie, thanks to the neighbors garden: Swiss Chard. I can't say it was my most favorite vegetable ever, but it was decent. I'm not really one for cooked leafy greens though. We've decided to try it again, but I'll prepare it a little differently, still cooked down & such, but we're going to add some sauteed onions to it.


The aforementioned garden is also producing zuchinnis that apparently didn't get the memo & took steroids anyways--these things are huge--and also lots yellow squash. The other 'new' thing from this week was my favorite Zucchini Pancakes, but with a little something extra. I made up my normal batter (except I was out of cheddar cheese, so used mozzarella) & instead of all zucchini, I added in yellow squash. Yum. These are seriously one of my favorite things to make in the summer, they remind me so much of my Granny ♥.

Not everyone at our house could try the Swiss chard, but that's okay, he got something new this week too...Brody is now eating rice cereal & loving it. He needed something to make up for all that rolling & scooting he's doing now.

-------------

So now that I've talked about all this new food, I've got the motivation to go plan out next weeks meals & search the 2 new Taste of Home magazines that came this week for another new recipe (or 2,3, maybe even 10) to try.
I think I'll also get some zucchini bread in the oven, as well as some really yummy zucchini cookies we tried out last year, and maybe some of these too. (yes we have THAT much & probably more).

Come back tomorrow for Scrap with Me Saturday--I've got a few new pages to showcase!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Try the swiss chard creamed. It's like creamed spinach and super yummy!!

Unknown said...

Never had that either?! Something new to try though... :)