Friday, July 9, 2010

Apple Pie {Food Friday}

I've only made 1 new recipe this week. It's been HOT & I haven't gotten everything caught up from out camping adventure (well I didn't get the menu planned & that usually helps). I did make a Farm Apple Pie, which I found at Allrecipes.com. The original recipe was to serve 20 (which would have been WAY too much for my house) so I pared it down & made a few changes. I didn't make the glaze because we ate it with Granny's Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

Farm Apple Pie
8 apples - peeled, cored and sliced (enough for a regular pie, needed more for deep dish)
2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg yolks
2 tablespoons water, or as needed
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400* F.
Place apple in a bowl & toss with lemon juice. Mix white sugar & brown sugar with cinnamon & set aside
In a large bowl, mix flour, 2 teaspoons of sugar, salt, & baking powder; cut in shortening. Beat egg yolks in a 1 cup measuring cup, add extracts & enough water to make 1/2 cup. Stir into flour mixture to form the pastry.

Divide pastry in half; roll out bottom crust to fit your pie plate & extend over the edges. Place crust in the pan.

Alternate layers of apples & sugar mixture on the bottom crust.

Roll out the top crust slightly larger than pan & place on top of the apple filling. Turn the extended top crust under to bottom crust at the edges and pinch to seal. Make small slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.


Bake at 400, for 50 minutes or until top crust is browned. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. YUM.

Here's what I thought about this recipe: it was good, could have used more apples, which I noted above. Hubby really liked the crust (I'm not a fan of crust but it was good).

------------------------

One of the things my Granny used to make for me when I was a kid was strawberries with milk & sugar. It was a treat, especially when we spent the day out picking the berries in a field. If there weren't any berries we sometimes had peaches with milk & sugar.

This morning for breakfast I had a peach that needed to be used up & since the kids were having blueberries with their eggs & back, I thought, I would be nostalgic & have some peaches with milk for breakfast. Except I added the blueberries and instead of sugar, a swirl of honey.

Happy Friday! Have a great weekend. I'll be back in the morning with Scrap with Me Saturday & then I'll be off, kid-free to go to a photo shoot with twin newborn boys!

No comments: