Friday, April 8, 2011

Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas {Food Friday}

Well, hello, food Friday, how I have missed posting you.  One of my favorite things to do with and for my family is to try out new recipes. It gives us all something to look forward to & we get to try familiar things in new ways.  This week was particularly full of new recipes & the one that probably wins our vote for favorite new recipe was the Slow Cooked Porked Carnitas.  I found this recipe in the most recent issue of Taste of Home (my favorite subscription).  And although I didn't document the dish with photos, let me just tell you, it was DELISH! I'll mark my changes with an * and then tell you about it at the bottom of the recipe.

For this dish you'll need:
1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)*
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1-1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chicken broth*
1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth*
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies*
12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
Optional toppings: fresh cilantro leaves, chopped avocado and tomato*
Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings.
**** I didn't use tequila, mostly because we don't have any. I also didn't use broth, but some water & a little bouillon powder. I omitted the green chiles, because my sweet little family doesn't do spicy foods (except for me). After I shredded the pork I didn't put it back into the crock, but strained the juices back into the pork because I know my kids & they wouldn't have ate it the other way. We didn't serve it with the avocado either, but only because I forgot to get them. I didn't have any limes and would have loved to squeeze a little fresh lime on them. YUM!

No comments: