Monday, November 16, 2009

Crafts, a recipe & sunset {My Life}

If you read my blog, you've probably figured out that I enjoy doing almost lots of domesticated things. Be it digital or paper scrapbooking, painting, sewing, crafting, cooking & anything else that I decide sounds like a lot of fun.
One thing I really enjoy, is getting to pass my love for creating on to my children. I believe that it shows them how to take joy in the little things in life & not worry about the even smaller things (like cleaning or making messes, folding laundry). At each holiday or changing of season I try to find some itty-bity friendly crafts to envolve the weeones in.
For Thanksgiving, last year we made a pinecone turkey centerpiece for our table, the feathers were hand prints cut out of paper that Anna had painted. This year, I again chose a turkey project & we also made a "Thankful Tree" as a family project.

...painting the hand print leaves we would eventually cut out...

...up close with our leaves, each family member got 4 leaves on the tree, 2 of each hand...

While our leaves were drying, we got started on our paper bag turkey. I cut out the feathers & used the hot glue, but Anna was a huge helper. She got to crumple all the newspaper stuffing & tell me where to glue things.

...Our finished turkey, nice & plump, if he was real, he'd be very tasty...

...adorning our entertainment center....

After dinner Sunday evening, we sat around that table & talked about things we were thankful for. I wrote on everyones leaves, then we hot glued them to the tree trunk we made out of foam core & paper bag. We had a sack of acorns that Anna collected at the park & used some of them to embellish our tree.

...some of the things we are most thankful for...

...Anna proudly displaying our Family Thankful Tree...

One of the things we are thankful for is our home. We live on a beautiful piece of property & get a full on view of Mt Shasta, every time we look out a window or door. It's peaceful (except for the 40mph wind we are having tonight).


...The sunset from my back-front door...

Another thing we are thankful for, is the fact that we have food & get to sit down together every night for dinner. I've reverted back to bi-weekly menus, planned out every 2 weeks. Not only does it help me, because I'm not scrambling at the last minute trying to figure out what to cook, it also allows me to try new recipes & foods, as well as keep our diet fairly balanced.

One of the goals we have is to have at least 2 new dishes during the 2 weeks. This week we had several...if I search the cookbooks & am hungry, we end up with more than 2 new dishes...well I must have been starving when I made this last menu, because we have about 7 new recipes on the list. Tonight we ate Crock-pot Philly Cheese Sandwhiches & Paradise Cran-Applesauce (both were new recipes) although we have Philly Sandwiches on occasion this recipe was super easy & very tasty. The Cran-Apple Sauce was YUMMY!

Not really sure exactly which magazine or edition it came from, but the page looks something like a Taste of Home (or one of their sister mags) recipe. I only made a 1/2 batch, just in case we didn't like it. A full batch goes something like this:

4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries --- 1/4 cup water --- 8 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples (I used Granny Smith & I didn't peel them) --- 2 cups sugar

--In a covered saucepan, simmer cranberries & water for about 20 minutes. Press through sieve or food mill & return to pan. Add apples; cover & let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender, but retain their shape. ( I thought it looked really thick here, until I added the sugar then it got all jelly thick & mmmm) Add sugar, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 8-10 servings

It was SUPER yummy. Sweet at first, then tangy at the end. It's going on my fall/winter cooking list for sure!
It wouldn't be a day in my life post without on image of little Grace, who at 9 months can walk, crawl up on the couch, & jump on the cushions. She loves to play hide & seek, music, dances well, & will clap along to Patty Cake & Itsy Bitsy Spider. She is also learning some sign language & can use the words more & all done. The little miss Determined is such a smarty pants as well, it's hard to fool her if there's something she really wants.

...taking a break from jumping on the couch...

Needless to say my hands are FULL & I love every minute I spend with the little munchkins. Now back to enjoying my quiet mommy hour, editing & desiging Christmas cards for my fabulous clients.

No comments: